One of our favorite dishes in summer is a light and healthy watermelon salad. The saltiness of the feta cheese compliments the sweetness of the watermelon. You can eat our watermelon salad as a main course with fresh baguette or have it as a side dish for meat and chicken. Are there certain veggies you prefer? You can easily pimp the original recipe of our watermelon salad and create your very own special version.
Finally some of the Covid-19 restrictions are loosened up. Just in time for the warmer spring and summer weather to arrive. After weeks of lockdown and staying inside it could not feel better to get outside into nature. Meeting friends for a picknick or firing up the grill for a BBQ is a welcome change, no?! Of course you can also take this healthy and tasty salad to work, give your kids to take to school or be the star at the the next Sunday morning brunch.
You will need:
- 1/2 watermelon, preferably with no or only a few seeds
- 1 handful of fresh, (organic) mint
- 2 fresh limes (or vinegar)
- olive oil
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- feta cheese (we prefer sheep)
Following recipes is sometimes a pain. With our watermelon salad you are free to experiment with the amount of ingredients – it always tastes good. This is how we like it the best, but maybe you prefer more mint or want to substitute the mind with rucola? Go for it and give it a try!
Optional: Are you willing to experiment? Try to add
- red onion
- rucola salad
- roasted pinenuts
….do you have any other ideas?
- You need a big bowl where you can mix all the ingredients with a big spoon.
- Cut the rind off the watermelon, then chop the watermelon into bite size cubes. Put it into the big bowl.
- Crumble the feta cheese onto the watermelon.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and add to the watermelon and feta mixture. Gently toss.
- Chop the fresh mint and add to the salad. Gently stir again.
- Give it a try, is some salt missing? You can add coarse sea salt which adds a nice texture.
The salad can be prepared about 1-2 hours before serving. Once you are done, cover it with a beeskin and store it in your fridge until ready to serve. If you add rucola it is best to add it right before serving since otherwise the leaves will soak up the dressing and get soggy.
Cover the remaining watermelon with beeskin until you make the next watermelon salad. Size XL would be the right size. How about adding some blueberries next time?